Saturday, January 9, 2010

My Site....

Well it has been a long past few days. Thursday I left with my principle to our school, Komotobo Primary School for the Deaf. It was a 6 our bus ride from Nairobi to Moggori and then another hour and a half car ride to my school.


I have to say it has been a very long past few days. I am out in the middle of no where. On the paper work I got on the school it said that I would have power. Well I don’t.....When it can to training on how to use a lantern in Loitokitok I kind of didn’t pay attention. So far the lanturne I bought yesterday is out of commission. I brook the glass. I think the wick was to high making the glass shatter... Ohh well. I am working off of candles and one flashlight.


And as fate would have it the battery operated lanturne I brought with my from America brook and the two other light forces I had I forgot in Loitokitok.


This is going to be a long long two years. I asked the man who lives a few houses down from me about the power situation. Apparently we have a generator and the put the power on for Saturdays and Wednesdays but it is broken and who knows when it will be fixed.


The other big thing I am having a hard time with is my house. I have never lived alone before. I was always living in the dorms at school or at home at my parents house. The people on either side of me are not here so it is just me. I hear creepy noises and it is hard to get used to. Just now I heard something flying up against the front wall. I am going to guess that is was a stray chicken but who knows considering that it is now night time and dark outside. This morning I woke up to something running outside my bedroom window. Considering that there is nothing but a fence back there I am still wondering what it was.


And then for some reason all of my rechargeable batteries don’t seem to be working and yes I just charged them..... I forgot to get batteries from town for my radio. That would have at least helped with the quiet.


Also this was the moment of ohh my gosh I am an Kenya.......I haven’t had that moment until the second night when I started wondering “What am I doing here out in the middle of no where with creepy noises and no power????” I got spoiled in Loitokitok with power and a big town environment that I was not ready for this. I will survive, lol....


On a good note I meet the children and can’t wait to start teaching. Monday we discuss what everyone will be teaching. I already know I will be teaching the upper classes 6-8. I told my principle I don’t have patience for the lower classes and he was fine with that! I can tell already I will get along just fine with the students. I have already turned into my teacher role of asking them questions and making sure they understand what I am saying. Also with telling them to pick up after themselves. I can’t wait to get started!


Today I spent that whole day cleaning my house. My theory is the cleaner the house the less bugs I will have. I have already cleared out all of the coach roaches I could find. They varied in sized from one and a half inches to very small. Hopefully they will be gone for a while. I used dome bug spray killer. It kills the bugs and there eggs! I also did a lot of laundry and am frustrated because I still have a lot more to do. Ohh well who knows when I will be able to catch up on laundry?


Anyway I have around an hours walk to church tomorrow so good night to everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Burke! Hope everything is going well for you. I think about you often!

    Alpha love and all of mine,

    Swain

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will get used to life in Komotobo and you´ll love it!
    I stayed there for some years in the 1990s. 1996 I got married to a kuriagirl but now we are living in Sweden. Maybe I can give you some advice how to have a nice time there.
    First some names of people you can really trust. Walter Wainaina, the short driver who also takes care of the generator. Fatuma, Mary Nyasibora or Ester Monata will be very happy to work for you with cleaning, washing and cooking.

    ReplyDelete