Friday, November 6, 2009

Finally in Kenya!

I avived in Kenya November 4th. It was so cool when I walked off my final flight. There were two Peace Corps staff standing waiting for us as we walked of the flight. They were holding a Peace Corps sign so that it was easy to find them. I was relieved that we didn't have to do anything to find them. They helped us make it through customs in a speedy easy manor. Then we walked down the stairs that took us to the baggage claim to get our luggage. They had luggage carts and we each found our luggage to take through another customs officer. We were lucky because they know we were Peace Corps Trainees and just let us through with out going through our bags. When we walked out of the air port there were a bunch of Peace Corps (PC) Volunteers and Staff waiting to great us with a big PC banner. This was so nice. They gave us hugs and welcomed us to Kenya. From there we took vans to the hostel we are staying at.

While at the hostel we have had many meetings about procedures and medical information. We also had our interview about where we will be placed for the next two years. For the Deaf Education volunteers they are starting a new training program with our class. I have heard a lot of great things about it from the PC volunteers who helped put it together. We will be finding out our placement sooner then the past trainees and we will also be spending some time in the classroom shadowing a PC volunteer.

Tomorrow we leave for our training site. We will arrive there on Sunday and meet our host families. I am so excited to find out who I will be living with during training.

The hardest thing that I have had to deal with while here is the time change. Right now everyone is eating breakfast back home while I just finished with dinner. It seems that I am always tired. Well I have to finish packing and go to bed so until next time by!

No comments:

Post a Comment