Monday, May 17, 2010

Rat Stories from Kenya

So I had a rat living under my bed but it wasn’t an ordinary rat. This rat never chewed or ate anything. My clothes are still in one piece and none of my food was ever touched. This is one reason it took me so long to figure out I actually had a rat IN my house. For the longest time I just thought there was a rat above me in the ceiling boards. This was just wishful thinking on my part. I came to found out it was actually running around under my bed. Under my bed is where I keep all of my unused luggage. I don’t understand what was so interesting to the rat about my luggage but there are no holes so I am happy.


Finally it came time for me to take action. I prepared the poison and strategically cleaned out under my bed and put the delicious smelling poison mixed with corn meal. That night was the last night I was woken up by the rat! The only problem was where did it die? I ignored this problem and promptly forgot about the whole situation. That is until last night. Last night after night studies I walked into my house to the most disgusting smell. The last thing I wanted to do was deal with a smelly dead rat but I had to remind my self, yes I am in Kenya and No there are no younger brothers to bribe into doing the dirty disgusting tasks. I them proceeded to search for the dead body. Sure enough it was under my stove. At first I only saw the BIG tail. Then I saw the BIG body.... AHHHH it was as big as my foot and for those who know me I have BIG feet. Size 11. Needless to say I found my gloves and proceeded to put it in a plastic bag. I tied the bag up and through it out the door. I wasn’t in the mood to put up with the body any further then that last night. Then I had to mop up the floor because the smell was so bad. Finally I was able to go to bed with no stinking smell to keep me up. And even better news is that the rat carcass was missing the next morning. I only feel bad for whatever poor unfortunate animal decided to eat it.

1 comment:

  1. Well, this remind me that not everything was wonderful in Komotobo. I had no big problems with rats but I remember something we called "the flying sausages". Very big ugly insects coming inside at night if you had forgotten to close the window. "Was it a rat I saw?" is a nice palindrome! Have the swedish guys arrived to Komotobo yet?

    ReplyDelete